BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) — The pastor of a Presbyterian church in New York has died a month after being severely burned in a gas station explosion in Connecticut officials say may have been sparked by static electricity.
A Bridgeport Hospital spokeswoman says David Wentroble died Tuesday. He had been in critical condition in the hospital’s burn unit since the Dec. 20 explosion in Danbury.
Wentroble, who lived in Danbury, was pastor at the Central Presbyterian Church in Haverstraw, N.Y., and pastoral care director at Nyack Hospital in Nyack, N.Y.
Danbury officials ruled the explosion accidental. The exact cause was never determined, but mechanical defects were ruled out. Fire Chief Geoff Herald has said it’s possible static electricity sparked the explosion.
Authorities say Wentroble was pumping gas at Citgo station when explosion occurred.