Fireplace and space heater safety tips

WTNH–It’s that time of the year when many people are using heaters and fireplaces in their homes to stay warm. However, not properly using them can be dangerous and cause fires.

When using space heaters, it’s important to remember to pull the heating device at least 3 feet away from other furniture or any other combustible items. The space heather should also only be on for a limited time each day and never be connected to an outlet with an extension cord.

When you’re done using your space heater, make sure to unplug it and let it cool down before storing it away again.

If your electric heater has frayed or damaged cords, do not use it.

Fireplaces are also prone to fires if not used correctly.

Before using the fireplace, be sure the flue is already open. You can check this by looking up the chimney to see if light is peaking in.

You should also have your chimney inspected by a professional before heating season and cleaned to remove creosote build up, which is combustible.

If you’re using artificial logs for your fire, you should only use one at a time. Never use newspapers or trash in the fire because these burn too hot. You also shouldn’t store any newspapers, kindling, or matches near the fireplace.

You should also never leave your fireplace unattended when there’s a fire. You should also use a fireplace screen to prevent sparks from flying.

It’s important not to have an exposed rug or wooden floor right in front of the fireplace either.

When exposing the ashes wait at least four days so they are completely cold.  A metal container with a tight lid works best to store the ashes  so they don’t  blow through, which can expose them for re-ignition.

Never put ashes in a paper or plastic bag or in cardboard.

Also do not store ashes on your deck or garage, or any location that allows the heat to transfer to something flammable.

Make sure you discard the ashes away from your house but not near dry brush either, which can cause a brush fire.

Ash that is completely cold can also be used on your garden as a soil additive.

For more information on fire safety, visit New Haven Fire Department’s  or Milford Fire Department’s  websites or talk to your local fire department.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s