HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH)– The mother of a little girl who died in an apartment fire in Hartford, has also died from her injuries. A vigil was held for them at a school on Thursday night.
One other child did survive.
“I still can’t believe it, it hasn’t hit me yet. I still can’t believe it,” said Janette Blackman, victim’s Grandmother.
Hundreds gathered to comfort a family that is in shock. First they lost 4-year-old Shantay Drake who never got out of her home on Bedford street.
“A hugger, she is a beautiful little girl, not talkative at first, but once you get to know her she will open up and steal your heart,” said Richard Drake,victim’s uncle.
“Loves to follow her sister, she was a beautiful bright little 4-year-old,” said Marcellina Drake, victim’s aunt.
Firefighters were able to rescue Shantay’s sister Kayla, and mother Susan. But Thursday, Susan Therrien succumbed to her burn,s leaving 6-year-old Kayla all alone.
When asked how Kayla is doing, Marcellina Drake said, “fine, she is living with her cousins in Lebanon, she knows the situation.”
Thursday night, the mayor, firefighters, and police officers all turned out for the vigil. Many of them had become very attached to the victims in this case.
They are also saying that neighbors are thankful they are here and they’re interested to know the cause of the fire.
“Praying hard, and keeping my head up and thanking God that one of them got out of the fire. That one little girl was saved,” said Blackman.
Thursday night, the vigil was held at the Milner School, where Shantay went. Family and friends felt close to the 4-year-old by being near where she loved to play.
“Thank you to the school for holding this and letting us be on the grounds. It’s good, it’s good,” said Richard Drake.