NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — Connecticut is launching a $10 million project upgrading the power supply on Metro-North Railroad’s New Haven line to prevent a repeat of an outage that left nearly 200 passengers stranded last month.
Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Sunday the work will begin on Monday.
He also said he will meet Feb. 13 with Joe Giulietti, the new president of Metro-North, and Thomas F. Prendergast, chairman and chief executive of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to express his concerns about the commuter rail’s operation.
Metro-North runs the New Haven line under a contract with the state Department of Transportation and will manage the project with Connecticut Light & Power. The utility will install new transformers.
A derailment in Bridgeport last May injured more than 70 people and a derailment in the Bronx in December left four dead.