WTNH– A lot of people may be using snow blowers to clear off the snow on sidewalks and driveways. But people are often not using these machines safely and some have ended up getting injured.
Here are some tips to safely use a snow blower:
- Always make sure the machine is entirely off before cleaning it.
- Do not stick you hands inside the machine even once turned off.
- Use a long stick or a small shovel to unclog wet snow and debris.
- Keep feet away from all moving parts.
- Do not leave the machine running in an enclosed area.
- Do not add gasoline to a hot or running engine.
- If it is electric powered, be aware of where the the power cord is when using it.
- Clear the area of anything that may be hidden in the snow that can cause damage.
- Keep the area clear especially of children and pets when snow blowing.
- Never run when snow blowing, always only walk.
For more information, check out the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s guide to snow blower safety.