WEST HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH)– It’s a facility entrusted to operate on our Veterans and now it’s been slammed for unsanitary and downright disgusting conditions. It’s the VA Connecticut Healthcare System in West Haven.
News 8 has the Healthcare Inspectors report after their visit to West Haven’s VA Connecticut Healthcare System and here’s the conditions they found in the Operating Room of the hospital:
- Poor terminal cleaning procedures of the operating room. Equipment from the surgeries the day before left on the floor and trash not emptied.
- Not enough cleaning staff working in the OR. On an average day, nearly 20 percent of cleaning staff didn’t show for work.
- Cleaning staff didn’t follow standard operating procedures or checklists for cleaning.
- Patients with infectious diseases had surgery along with non infectious patients.
- Staff wasn’t made aware of infectious patients arriving for surgery.
After this inspection report, recommendations were made to the facility director to get the or cleaning up to standards, address how infectious patients were managed, hire proper staffing and train cleaning crews.
VA Connecticut acknowledges those recommendations and is working currently to make all those changes by the middle of March.
To see the full report, go to http://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-13-03747-76.pdf