(WTNH) — Nicole and Jeremy Braddock of Hardcore Sweets demonstrate how to make American pie cupcakes and discuss the upcoming CONNFections event at the Palace Theater.
March 27th at the Palace Theater
Hosted by the Waterbury Neighborhood Council and the Palace Theater
Recipe: American Pie Cupcakes
Cinnamon Cake Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self- rising), sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon, plus 1/2 teaspoon for dusting
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- reheat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together both flours, baking powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk, and beating until combined after each
- Divide batter evenly among lined cups, filling each three-quarters full. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored up to 2 days at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.
- To finish, combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tablespoons sugar. Using a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip (Ateco No. 809 or Wilton No. 1A), pipe frosting on each cupcake: Hold bag over cupcake with tip just above top, and squeeze to create a dome of frosting, then release pressure and pull up to form a peak. Using a small, fine sieve, dust peaks with cinnamon-sugar. Cupcakes are best eaten the day they are frosted; keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
Apple Moonshine Compote Ingredients:
- 3 Large Granny Smith Apples- peeled and diced
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup Onyx Moonshine
- 2 cinnamon sticks for flavor
In a large saute pan, bring apples, moonshine and brown sugar to a rapid boil- then reduce heat and simmer until apples are soft (15 mins approx) Add a little more moonshine to taste, as the moonshine you start with starts to burn off- add cinnamon sticks to enhance flavor in the compote.
Cinnamon Buttercream Ingredients:
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter
- 3 cups of confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp of heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tsp of cinnamon
In a stand mixer or bowl beat butter util it becomes a pale yellow color (about 5 minutes) scrap down bowl 1-2 times inbetween. After it is well whipped, add half of the 10x sugar and incorporate together with the butter. Add a little of the whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Add the rest of the 10x sugar and the rest of the 10x sugar, and whip together for about 2-4 mins, add cinnamon.