(WTNH) – “The Naptime Chef,” Kelsey Banfield, demonstrates how to make asparagus with feta vinaigrette.
For more information, visit www.thenaptimechef.com
- 1 ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 2 lbs. fresh asparagus
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons good-quality olive oil
- ½ cup (2 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- Fill a medium saucepan or deep sauté pan with water halfway up the sides and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water.
- While the water is coming to a boil, prepare an ice bath in a large bowl and set aside.
- Trim the asparagus by snapping off the tough bottom of each stalk where it naturally breaks when bent. Add the asparagus to the boiling water and cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender enough to be speared through with a fork. Drain the water and plunge the hot asparagus into the ice bath for 30 seconds. Remove the asparagus and drain on a clean kitchen towel.
- While the asparagus is cooking, whisk together the vinegar and mustard in a small bowl, then add the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper and allow the salt to dissolve. Pour the olive oil in a thin stream into the mustard mixture, whisking constantly until everything is fully emulsified. Fold the crumbled feta into the dressing with a rubber spatula and set aside. If the dressing separates a little, stir it together again before serving.
- Place the asparagus in a serving bowl or plate and evenly drizzle with the vinaigrette; toss lightly with a spoon or fork to make sure all of the asparagus is coated. Serve immediately.