Man accused of holding sister captive for years

Arthur Gauvin of Seymour was arrested on Apr. 24, 2014.

SEYMOUR, Conn. (WTNH) — Police in Seymour have arrested a man who they say held his sister captive in a filthy, urine and feces covered bedroom for years.

Officers on Thursday arrested Arthur Gauvin, 58, of Eleanor Road, and charged him with cruelty to persons, unlawful restraint and reckless endangerment.

Home in Seymour where police say a woman was held captive by her brother for years.
Home in Seymour where police say a woman was held captive by her brother for years.

Police were called to the home after an anonymous caller said they were concerned about the woman’s welfare. Here’s how Deputy Chief Paul Satkowski described what police found:

Upon locating the victim investigating Officers were astounded by the living conditions that the female victim was living in. Officers found the female victim to be covered in filth with urine and human feces covering her entire body. The victim was disheveled and it was immediately apparent she had not been bathed in a long period of time. She was frail, extremely thin and appeared to be malnourished. Officers found a locking clasp on the outside of the bedroom door that prevented the female from exiting her bedroom.

Once inside the bedroom Officers found the female victim to be living in squalor like conditions. Urine and human feces was spread throughout the entire bedroom including the bed in which she slept. A portable toilet was located inside of the room which was in an unsanitary condition. The bedroom was kept like a dungeon. The one window inside the room was blacked out with black paint to prevent the female victim from seeing the outside. The window was also boarded up to prevent the victim from escaping.

Police say Gauvin kept the woman in the home so he would not lose the building to the state. She had signed the house over to him, and he was supposed to care for her for nine years before she could receive state assistance.

Gauvin was initially released after posting a $20,000 bond, but then police say he made a threatening comment to a family member, so he was re-arrested on an additional charge of witness tampering. He remains in custody and was scheduled to appear in Derby Superior Court today.

There were children in the house, so the Department of Children and Families will also conduct an investigation.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s