Welder overcome by carbon monoxide

A worker welding in a barge became sickened by carbon monoxide, may 2, 2014. (Photo: Branford Fire Department)
A worker welding in a barge became sickened by carbon monoxide, may 2, 2014. (Photo: Branford Fire Department)

BRANFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A man working on a barge in Branford is recovering from exposure to carbon monoxide.

The man, who has not been identified, was welding inside a barge at Bruce and Johnson’s Marina when the CO got to him.

“The worker had been removed from the barge and was disoriented and confused upon fire department arrival,” Fire Chief Jack Ahern said in a news release.

Readings taken from inside the barge showed a CO level of 30 parts per million, “which is enough to cause serious illness and even death,” the fire department said.

There apparently wasn’t proper ventilation, the fire department said.

The worker was given oxygen on the scene and then taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital.

OSHA is also investigating the incident.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s