State police news conference

OXFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Lt. J. Paul Vance of the Connecticut State Police held a press conference earlier today, with information on the Oxford shooting where one woman was killed and another woman was injured at a home this morning. Police have since captured the suspect Scott Gellatly.

“Upon arrival at the hospital, and interviews and family member’s information that was provided to troopers, it has been determined that no hostage has been taken. We are still seeking at this time the suspect, Scott Gellatly. He is believed to be operating a 2012 Toyota Tacoma pickup barring Connecticut registration, 2741CC,” Vance said.  “Presently the most updated information we have from the hospitals is that one female is still in serious condition and the second female, who has been identified as Lori Gellatly, has been pronounced dead at Waterbury Hospital.”

Vance also went into more detail on the search.

“Presently we are still searching  for that vehicle. We have notified all law enforcement in the northwest area and up and down the eastern seaboard. We are actively searching for that vehicle. We are asking anyone who may observe that vehicle to contact police immediately. The suspect is believed to be armed and dangerous,” he said.

There is no information of a motive as this time.

“We are certainly looking into historical information and previous history that may have occurred at this residence but that part and parcel of the investigation that is ongoing and proceeding as we speak,” said Vance.

An update was also given on the two toddlers that were found in the home after the shooting.

Vance said, “there were two toddlers that were unharmed inside the home. The Department of Child and Families are here and the children are unharmed and being taken care of by family members.”

In Winsted, The Gilbert School was in lockdown because of police activity near the school that is related to this incident.

“There are times when local officials deem it appropriate to lock the schools down just as a precautionary measure, nothing more than that. We are looking in several  different locations all around the state of Connecticut and we will continue to notify local officials as we do that,” said Vance.

A St. Mary’s Hospital spokesperson told News 8 the hospital was on what they call a temporary lockdown related to the shooting, which means patients and visitors will be screened upon entering the building. That has since been lifted.

While police are still looking for the black pickup, they did recover the other car associated with the incident.

“We did find the blue Ford, it was found not to far from here. That is being held as evidence and being examined by state police detectives.”

Vance also expressed the need for the public to help find the suspect.

“It’s important that the public become our eyes and ears to help us locate the vehicle as quickly as we can, so we can encounter the suspect safely,” he said.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s