$2M bond for suspect in 89-year-old woman’s assault

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WTNH) – A 24-year-old Bridgeport man Wednesday was ordered held on $2 million bond for the alleged serious assault of a woman nearly four times his age.

According to court documents, Jose Correa May 8 allegedly lured an 89-year-old woman to a shed outside her Stratford home and once inside began choking her until she passed out.

The woman awoke to find her underwear removed and Correa committing a sexual act on himself, according to the court documents. She escaped with her life after a neighbor heard her screams.

The neighbor initially thought Correa was trying to help the woman because of the position of where he was standing, police said. But then the woman started yelling that she was being raped and pointed at Correa. The neighbor tried to apprehend Correa but he got away.

Correa faces charges including criminal attempt to commit murder, attempted sexual assault, assault of an elderly person, unlawful restraint and strangulation.

The Bridgeport man also has a $100,000 bond for an unrelated stalking charge that concerns a 59-year-old woman in the same Stratford neighborhood (more on that in video below).

Police said Correa had just gotten out of prison in April.

“He got out of jail, they put him in a halfway house,” Zelines Pou-Correa, a sister of the suspect, said outside court Wednesday. “That was where he was at.”

Pou-Correa said though her brother had been in and out of trouble for most of his life, he’s never done anything involving a sexual attack.

“He went to jail for, say, stealing or violating probation, or breaking and entering, or you know, just stuff like that,” she said.

Back in Stratford, neighbors were shocked to hear of the alleged savage assault.

“I’m sorry that something that obscene had to happen to an 89-year-old woman,” said Rayna Bohannon.

Correa’s next court appearance is scheduled for June 3.

AJ Walker reporting

blog comments powered by Disqus