BLOOMFIELD, Conn. (WTNH) – One student at the Metropolitan Learning Center Magnet School was taken by ambulance to the hospital after he ate a brownie laced with pot.
Police say he wasn’t the only one who ate the brownies, eight others did as well. But students tell News 8 it’s more like 17, and there may be more brownies out there.
Emails went out to parents warning them.
“There was an incident at school that involved pot brownies, and that the police were involved and they were going to take all the necessary steps that they needed to,” said parent Julie Hillery of the email’s contents.
Police are concerned about this incident because of the sheer number of brownies that were out there circulating through the school. In all, they are expecting several arrests.
There was an 18-year-old who was kind of in charge of it all. And there were two 16-year-olds, a male and female, who were helping to distribute the brownies.
“You got to really talk to your kids, it’s not just here, it’s everywhere,” Hillery said.
Doctors at Hartford Hospital say the problem with pot brownies is you do not feel the high right away like when you smoke it. It takes up to two hours for the pot to make its way into your bloodstream and that means it’s very easy to overdose.
“They taste very sweet, they taste good so people might want to eat more of them,” said Dr. Kelly Johnson-Arbor. “By the way, they are not getting the high they expect, so they are going to have more and more.”
Johnson-Arbor says another danger with street drugs like this, you don’t know how much pot is in there, was it mixed with something like PCP. She says don’t take any chances if your child starts showing symptoms.
“If somebody does eat one of these and has a bad reaction, they should go to the hospital right away because pot doesn’t always cause euphoria or a high,” she said. “It can also cause a panic attack or anxiety some conditions that need to be treated in a hospital setting.”