WTNH– Associate Director of Communications at The Connection Claire Bien, and owner of Abate Apizza & Seafood Lou Abate talk about The 19th Annual Greater New Haven Pizza Fest and show us how to make spinach pizza.
The 19th Annual Greater New Haven Pizza Fest will be held Thursdays and Fridays, June 19 – 20 and 26 – 17 from Noon to 1:30 pm on the New Haven Green during the International Festival of Arts & Ideas free lunchtime concerts.
This is a great community event as well as major fundraiser for The Connection, statewide nonprofit human services and community development agency. The agency serves many of the most vulnerable members of our communities. Three main program areas: behavioral health (mental health and addiction services); Family Support Services (supportive housing and case management services for individuals and families) and community justice. Clients in behavioral health programs work and volunteer at Pizza Fest, which helps their recovery, community reintegration.
For more information, go to www.theconnectioninc.org.
Abate’s Fresh Spinach Pizza Recipe:
Preheat oven to 550 degrees – or as high as the oven will go
1. Start with a 16-inch pizza shell
2. Spread the skin with a touch of olive oil
3. Place 12 ounces of fresh, whole milk mozzarella on top
4. Add fresh sautéed spinach – sautéed with white wine, olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper to taste
5. Vegetarians may wish to add fresh ricotta cheese
6. Meat eaters often like to add fresh sausage or bacon
7. Then sprinkle with freshly grated Italian imported Peccorino Romano Cheese
Bake in 550 degree oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown