HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — An Avon doctor appeared in court Wednesday to face allegations that he sexually assaulted 11 women during office visits at his longtime family practice.
The initial charges involving 51-year-old Dr. Khosro Pourkavoos came about earlier this year after three women alleged that Pourkavoos assaulted them back in 2013. Those women claim that the doctor exposed and fondled them.
In some cases, the parts of the body being exposed had nothing to do with the reason for the visit, the women claim.
“During routine physical exams with the doctor, it did not go routinely,” said Zak Jazlowiecki, an attorney for the plaintiffs. “There’s allegations of inappropriate touching, sexual assault and battery — things that should not be going on during a normal doctor’s visit.”
Pourkavoos is currently listed as “inactive” with the Connecticut Department of Public Health. He is out on $270,000 bond.
The LPN that has worked at Pourkavoos’ office for the past six years says this is totally out of character.
“A lot of our patients have been calling, most of them crying and quite upset because they want Doctor Pourkavoos back,” Maria Merithew said. “He’s been their doctor for many years and they love him.”
Both Pourkavoos and his lawyers declined to comment at court Wednesday. He has suspended his practice and is referring his patients to other physicians.
“Doctor Pourkavoos, anybody who knows him knows that he’s probably (one of) the most courteous, respectful, decent, chivalrous people to ever walk the earth,” Merithew said.
Pourkavoos is scheduled to be back in court July 18.
News 8’s Brian Spyros and Mark Davis reporting