VERNON, Conn. (WTNH) — End Hunger Connecticut has been out in full force, across the state, over the last week. They were in Vernon Saturday pushing a clear message to anyone and everyone. It’s all part of something called ‘Blitz Day’.
“The purpose of these blitzes is to get the word out about the summer meals program,” Genevieve Caron said. “It’s a really under utilized program in Connecticut.
The summer meal programs are key for many students who aren’t getting the nutrition they need at home. Many times it comes down to economic difficulties. That’s why the goal is to make sure young children don’t have to be the ones to suffer.
“Many children in our town rely on lunch and breakfast at the school,” Michelle Hill of Vernon Community Plan explained, “so in the summer time when school is not going on many, kids can possibly be going hungry.”
That’s why End Hunger Connecticut and many community organizations are putting the word out, to let families know these meals are still available in various cities and towns. They’re spreading the message door by door.
“We worry about our students not having enough food when they get home from school because in some cases we are the only one providing that or able to provide that,” Vernon Superintendent Dr. Mary Conway said.
Through the summer, the meals will be held at various locations. They’re free to those who are 18 years old and under.
The funding comes from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.