SOUTHINGTON, Conn. (WTNH) — The medical examiner’s office has ruled the death of a 19-year-old woman in Southington as a homicide.
The victim is identified as Kristen Milano of Southington.
The medical examiner’s office said Milano died from smoke inhalation. The office did not explain why it ruled her death a homicide.
Police are not commenting on the examiner’s report.
The fire broke out in building 32 at the Summer Brook Apartments on Darling Street around 4:30 Sunday morning. Firefighters from several surrounding towns had to be called in to help fight the fire.
The damage was contained to two rooms in the building.
As pictures of the fire flashed across his television screen, Michael Milano, Kristen’s father, was panicked.
“Oh my god, no. That’s her house,” he thought.
His ex-wife and a few of his children called the destroyed apartment at Summer Brook home. He immediately made phone calls to make sure they were safe, and didn’t find out until hours later that only his son and ex-sister in law survived the blaze.
“I know they talk about heartache,” Milano said. “It feels like my heart was in a vice and just got crushed. It’s terrible.”
The family of the victim is having trouble raising money for her funeral.