SOUTHINGTON, Conn. (WTNH) — If you can possibly avoid it, you’ll likely save yourself a lot highway travel time this weekend by avoiding I-84 in Southington at Exit 30.
The highway will be closed so new bridges that have been construction can me moved into place.
“The word is, stay away, do not go out there, you are going to be stuck in traffic,” said Kevin Nursick, spokesman for the Department of Transportation. “Don’t waste your time.”
The closure begins tonight and lasts through Monday morning.
“We will route traffic right off of I-84 on the exit 30 off ramps and send them right back on the on ramps on the other side of the bridge using a very short detour,” Nursick said.
The Southington Rest Area just before Exit 30 eastbound is already closed for the weekend.
What kind of construction is going to be taking place for this portion of the highway to be closed for the entire weekend? Two bridges are going to be replaced, one going eastbound, the other going westbound.
“They are 2 million pounds a piece,” Nursick said, “and when the closure comes tonight we will be removing the two old bridges and we will be lifting and sliding these two new structures into place literally, having the road open for Monday morning by 5 a.m.”
Nursick says shutting this portion of the highway down to replace the bridges eliminates construction that could’ve taken months or years.
Here’s the schedule of what’s closing and when, according to the DOT:
- 9 am — Southington Rest Area along I-84 East Closed
- 5 pm to 9 pm — I-84 Exit 30 Off and On Ramps Closed.
- 5 pm, 6/27 to 5 am, 6/30 — Marion Avenue closed at ramps- no through traffic, Atwater Street closed from Canal Street to Marion Avenue
- 6 pm — One lane taken on I-84 East at Exit 27 (I-691)
- 7 pm — One lane taken on I-84 West at Exit 31 (Rt 229)
- 8 pm — Two lanes taken on I-84 East at Exit 27 and I-84 West at Exit 31 with one travel lane open
- 9 pm — I-84 and Exit 29 On and Off Ramps at Route 10 Closed. Re-open Exit 30 ramps to accommodate one lane of I-84 traffic
For more information: ct.gov/dot