WTNH– Debra Queen from Chef Queen’s Cuisine shows us how to make Raspberry Blue-Almond Crumb Tart.
This dessert is perfect for a Red White & Blue 4th of July Celebratory Food.
Queen also discusses the health benefits of almond meal crust and berries and how a colorful and very flavorful combination can also be used with peaches (stonefruits), or Figs and Strawberries for example.
For more information, go to www.chefqueenscuisine.com.
Raspberry Blue-Almond Crumb Tart Recipe:
Almond crust is made in a food processor, pressed into a tart pan with a crumbly topping.
• 1 Cup Almond Meal
• 2 Tbls. Rice Flour
• 6 Tbls. organic cane sugar
• 1 1/3 Cups organic all-purpose flour, divided
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 6 Tbls cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (aka KNOBS)
• 1 large egg yolk (room temperature)
• 1 tsp almond extract
• 4 1/2 Cups fresh organic raspberries (or frozen unthawed)
• 2 tsp confectioners’ sugar Plus 1 Tbls. For Coating Berries
Directions Preheat oven to 400°F.
1. Lightly coat a 9-inch removable-bottom tart pan with cooking spray.
2. Combine almond meal, rice flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse to combine then set aside 1/2 cup of the mixture.
3. Add 1 1/3 cups flour and ½ tsp. salt to remaining sugar mixture and pulse to blend then with motor running, add chilled butter a few knobs at a time to well incorporate until mixture resembles coarse meal.
4. Slightly beat egg yolk, vanilla and almond extract together in a small bowl until blended. With the motor running, add to the processor and pulse until the mixture begins to clump and form a dough, about 1 minute Set aside 1/3 cup of the mixture for the topping.
5. Press Almond Meal Dough evenly and firmly into the bottom and up the sides of the pan to form a crust.
6. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons flour and 1 tsp. Conf. Sugar to the reserved almond mixture; stir to blend. Gently toss raspberries with 2 tablespoons of this mixture in a medium bowl until coated. Spread the berries evenly in the tart pan.
7. Sprinkle the remaining almond mixture over the berries.
8. sprinkle the crumbs on top of the berries evenly.
9. Bake the tart for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes then cool on a wire rack until completely cooled Remove the pan sides;
10. Sprinkle confectioners’ sugar to dust the tart just before serving.
11. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream if desired.