Bottle rocket accident sends Plainfield man to hospital


PLAINFEILD, Conn. (WTNH)–No one answered the door at the Pickett Road home where Plainfield police say a 34 year old Sterling man was seriously injured by a bottle rocket.

Police said Damon Luberto and another man placed a grouping of bottle rockets in the holder and lit them. They then ran to the tree line and turned around. That’s when police said the bottle rockets malfunctioned and exploded, sending a piece of shrapnel into Luberto’s chest.

MORE: Firework Safety Tips

“Those are dangerous. I wouldn’t recommend them at all,” said Phillip Bolduc, a local resident who was buying legal fireworks for his family.

Police said the accident should serve as a warning to others.

Backus Hospital said Luberto is now in good condition.

“I had one family that I went to several years ago and they had little bottle rockets. They fired off and it hit the eave of his house and it almost caught it on fire almost,” Bolduc said.

Police said the accident is a reminder why bottle rockets are illegal here in the state and so dangerous.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus