NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — An early morning fire forced six residents out of their home, sent one to the hospital, and closed down Whalley Avenue in New Haven for a couple hours this morning.
New Haven Deputy Fire Chief Lou Rivera said the fire started around 6:40 a.m. on the back porch on the first floor of 1122 Whalley Avenue. A couch on the porch caught fire, he said, and the fire spread into the house through an open back door.
<blockquote class=”twitter-tweet” data-partner=”tweetdeck”>
34 we have a 73 in A 2 1/2 story wood frame dwelling with no exposure problem. 2 lines in operation. Heavy smoke showing on the 2nd fl
— NewHavenFire (@NewHavenFire) July 8, 2014
The building’s balloon frame construction helped the fire spread from there. Chief Rivera said there was extensive damage to the rear of the house. One resident was taken away in an ambulance suffering from smoke inhalation.
Today’s heat and humidity caused the department to bring in extra firefighters to lessen the workload.
The fire activity affected traffic on the busy road. Whalley is closed in the immediate area, but is expected to reopen soon.
— Alysha Pitcher (@Xxpink_x) July 8, 2014
Natural gas was turned off in the neighborhood as a precaution.
Deputy Chief Rivera said the house seemed to be some kind of group home. He said the Red Cross will be helping the residents find somewhere else to stay.