Elderly renters rebate program expands

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Those of you that have been e-mailing and asking about the ‘Renters Rebate’ program, News 8 has your back! The cuts in the program have been restored and now is the time to apply.

69-year-old Howard Saroff has been working hard to help his neighbors at New Haven’s ‘Bella Visa’ complex and seniors and the disabled across the state.  ‘Bella Vista’ is the largest residence for seniors and the disabled in the State of Connecticut.

“We had over 40 percent of people in the city of New Haven that lost that rebate last year because of the budget cuts,” says Howard.

Many of the residents at ‘Bella Vista’ and around the state lost that extra help that came with the state’s ‘Renters’ Rebate’ program.

The Governor went to ‘Bella Vista’ Wednesday to announce that the cuts have been restored and an additional $6.5 million has been added to the fund.

“6.5 million dollars means that on top of the approximately 40,000 people or homes that are being subsidized in this program, we will reach another 12,000,” said Gov. Malloy.

Couples with joint income of $41,600 a year or less qualify for an annual rebate to help with the rent and utilities of up to $900.

For singles with annual income of $34,100 or less the annual rebate is up to $700.

“I think this restoration is going to mean that the 40 percent of people who did not get them last year will be able to get them this year..and I think it’s a good shot in the arm for the people in the city of New Haven and the State of Connecticut,” said Howard.

The hotline number for the Connecticut Elderly Renters’ Rebate Program is 860-418-6377.

LINK: Details about the program at ct.gov
LINK: 211ct.org

blog comments powered by Disqus