SOUTH WINDSOR, Conn. (WTNH)– 8 condo units in South Windsor are left charred and destroyed after an early morning fire Saturday. The big question now is what sparked the flames?
“I’ve never seen something that big in my entire life,” Frank Tostarelli said.
The fire broke out around 6 a.m. at the Burr Meadow condo complex on Misty Meadow Lane. it caused a great deal of commotion for those who live in the area.
“I noticed a bunch of fire trucks. I heard the noise,” Tostarelli said. “I looked out my bedroom window and all I see is over there these big flames coming through the roof.”
A woman who lives in one of the damaged units, but who didn’t want to go on camera, told News 8 that she smelled smoke and noticed a fire outside her home. That fire began to quickly spread, prompting her and her family to get out and alert the neighbors.
Barbara Campbell lives a few doors down and says she also woke up and noticed a great deal of smoke. “I said ‘oh my god. put this on.’ I didn’t have time to get the cats because there’s four of them and they were all hiding and I ran down the stairs and opened the door and stuff was falling on the ground in front of me from the top of the doorway being burnt.”
“It was through the roof when I got here,” Capt. David Motowidlak of the South Windsor Fire Department said. “It was a heavy fire right in the middle of the units showing right through the roof.”
Officials say everyone was able to get out safely. Fire crews later went inside Campbell’s apartment and were able to rescue some of her pets.
“The firemen went back in later they found three of the cats, she said. “They are in that truck, but they couldn’t find the last one.”
The American Red Cross was also on scene to help those displaced by the fire. At this time, there’s still no word on a cause.