NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) – In the middle of summer you probably have your windows open for some fresh air.
The screens on your windows are an important protection against letting flies and mosquitoes from getting inside.
But what do you do if your screen gets a tear in it? We’ve got your back with how you can fix it yourself. John Creaser from Page Hardware in Guilford tells us how.
Steps to repair your screen.
1. remove the existing spline and screen
2. cut a piece of replacement screening material a few inches larger all around
3. start (say with the top side) – with one end of the roller, make a groove in the screening where the gap is in the extrustion.
4. Place the spline in at one corner, pull the spline a little (to make it thinned out) and push spline into the extrusion.
5. Do opposite side (bottom). same. but place one hand in the center of the opening so that the screen is not too taught. (doesn’t bow in at the center – especially important for larger screens)
6. then cut the screen in at the corners (so that when you do the sides – the screen doesn’t pucker at the corners)
7. Do each of the remaining sides same as above.
8. Use flat head screwdriver or type of tool – to push in spline at corners a little better – if necessary
9. trim excess screen using a razor knife
Tools For Screen Repair: