Summer Beauty Tip: Avoiding and Relieving Poison Ivy

(WTNH)– The summer is meant for spending time in the great outdoors, but if your outdoor fun leads to a close encounter with poison ivy, oak or sumac, here are a few things to keep in mind…

First, it’s not the plants that cause an allergic reaction but the urushiol oil that’s on them. Most people get a rash after touching an object with the oil on it, like a garden tool or boots. Since urushiol can stay active for up to five years or more, it’s important to wash anything that may have come into contact with the poisonous plants with warm soapy water.

Before heading outside, protect yourself with a lotion containing bentonite clay, like IvyBlock. And if you do brush up against poison ivy, oak or sumac, wash your skin immediately and apply a cold compress to relieve the itching. Oatmeal baths and calamine lotion can also help dry up blisters and reduce itchiness.

 

blog comments powered by Disqus