News 8 is proud to once again team up with Connecticut Fire Departments and partners, Kidde, The Home Depot, the Connecticut Burn Center at Bridgeport Hospital and Eli’s Catering for our 3rd annual Operation Save a Life – a collective commitment to promote fire and carbon monoxide safety.
Throughout the months of September and October, News 8 will air fire safety and Carbon monoxide poisoning prevention messages. In 2012, the latest statistics available for the State, there were a total of 17 civilian deaths and over 47 million dollars in property loss from fire incidents in Connecticut. A key message of Operation Save a Life is that many fire fatalities and losses are often preventable through education and the use of working smoke detectors.
Carbon Monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America, killing 400 and injuring more than 20,000 each year. You cannot see, smell or taste carbon monoxide. The only safe way to detect this poisonous gas is with a working carbon monoxide alarm therefore it is vital that homes in our communities are equipped with working CO alarms.
As part of Operation Save a Life, Kidde along with and The Home Depot, will be donating thousands of Kidde-brand smoke detectors and CO alarms to participating Fire Departments for distribution to homes their communities. Home Depot will also be hosting Save a Life Saturday Events on October 4th from 9am to 3pm. Their team of experts will be answering all your safety questions and giving fire prevention tips so you can keep your family safe. See list below for participating locations.