Delaney’s pub in New Haven catches fire

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH)–Fire crews are working feverishly to put out a fire that started in the basement of a local pub in New Haven.

The fire started late Monday afternoon at Delaney’s Taproom and Restaurant at 882 Whalley Avenue in New Haven. Fire officials said that this is a three-alarm electrical fire. Police said that the building is partially collapsed and will be demolished, possibly as early as tomorrow.

The structure was over 100 years old.

The New Haven Fire Department tweeted out these pictures:

The New Haven Fire Department reported hearing an arcing sound coming from the basement. United Illuminating cut power to a four-block area of Whalley Avenue, from Rock Avenue to Blake Street. Several apartments are located above the pub.

Two firefighters were taken to the hospital, suffering from the affects of smoke inhalation. No other injuries were reported.

The road remains closed in the area.

Delaney’s was a popular restaurant in Westville, as Southern Connecticut State University students and local residents often frequented the place. It is located on Whalley Avenue, near Edgewood Park.

Firefighters were still on scene putting out the hot spots as of 10:35 p.m.

blog comments powered by Disqus