(WTNH)– Food Blogger Alicia Ghio shows us how to cook Zucchini Noodles with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto.
Sourcing food from local farmers is good for your health, the local economy and your taste buds. It keeps your dollars in the community, supports local people and most importantly it just tastes better. Eating local food or more sustainably and healthy isn’t about being perfect, it’s about making conscious food choices and doing what you can.
With the blog, they just want people to really get out there and savor good food. Ghio started the blog in 2008. She is a passionate home cook. Her husband Renato is her partner in crime. They are pretty much always together and are always ready to eat some good food and tell a good story. He’s the pictures and she’s the words. On Local Food Rocks, they explore the “local food scene” with everything from seasonal recipes to people features to reviews and events. For more information, go to localfoodrocks.com.
Zucchini Noodles with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto Recipe:
• 2 large or 3 medium-sized zucchini
• 1 cup sun dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
• ½ cup fresh basil leaves
• 1 garlic clove
• juice of half a lemon
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• salt and pepper
• crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1. To make the noodles, slice the zucchinis into noodles on a spiral slicer, mandolin, cheese grater or hand peeler. Set aside in a large bowl.
2. To make the sauce: In a food processor add the tomatoes and basil. Roughly cop the garlic clove and add to the food processor. Add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Put on the lid and pulse until finely chopped.
3. Mix the sauce onto your zucchini noodles and let it side for 10-15 minutes. This lets the flavors come together and softens the noodles.
4. Mix again and if desired, sprinkle with crushed red pepper. Serve.