NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — If you’re a late night or early morning commuter and your commute takes you along I-95 in New Haven, you’ll want to pay attention to this — things are going to get a little tricky a couple nights this week as new signs are put in place.
We’re talking about right along Long Wharf, just as you’re going past the Water Authority building around Exit 46. This is where new signs have to be put in to keep up with all the changes the big project to change things in the I-95, I-91 interchange.
“Expect significant traffic delays. Please plan ahead and consider alternate routes,” the Connecticut Department of Transportation says in alerts about the work.
The DOT is going to close two lanes of traffic on the highway, plus the ramps right in that area will be closed too. We’re talking about the off ramp to Sargent drive on the southbound side, and both the on and off ramps to Long Wharf Drive on the northbound side. Again, that’s tonight and Wednesday night, but not Tuesday night.
Here’s the Monday night/Tuesday morning schedule according to the DOT:
- I-95 Southbound between the I-91 Southbound off-ramp to I-95 Southbound and the Sargent Drive on-ramp to I-95
Southbound — Double right lane closure between the hours of 9 PM and 6 AM. Two travel lanes will remain open during
- I-95 Northbound between the Howard Avenue Bridge over I-95 and the Long Wharf Drive on-ramp to I-95
Northbound — Single right lane closure between the hours of 11 PM and 6 AM. Two travel lanes will remain open during
Stoppages and closures:
- I-95 Northbound and Southbound — 35 minute stoppage between the hours of 12 AM and 5 AM.
- I-95 Southbound off-ramp to Sargent Drive — Closed ONLY during the I-95 stoppage.
- I-95 Northbound off-ramp to Long Wharf Drive — Closed ONLY during the I-95 stoppage.
- Long Wharf Drive on-ramp to I-95 Northbound — Closed ONLY during the I-95 stoppage.
To bypass that part of the highway, the DOT suggests drivers use a combination of Route 34 and Ella Grasso Blvd.