WATERBURY, Conn. (WTNH) – It looks like careless smoking is to blame for a multi unit apartment house fire in Waterbury that left three firefighters with second degree burns.
The fire broke out around midday, along North Main Street, just across the street from a busy gas station and a block away from a firehouse. The flames and smoke were caught on video by News 8 viewer Tara Faccin.
It took firefighters just ten minutes to contain it. The fire started on the second floor of this three unit apartment house.
“A guy ran upstairs because someone outside noticed some flames and then I just heard them saying, get out, fire, and I had to grab my cats. I grabbed one of the out and then the other two were stuck inside there during the whole thing but then the fire people were able to get them out.”
The four people inside got out alive quickly, before the smoke alarm could kick in. The injured were three firefighters.
“They were burnt on their hands and their arms,” said Battalion Chief John Perugini, “mostly due to melted gutters as they were trying to gain entry into the structure, melted aluminum coming down, burning through their coats.”
But all were cleared to stay on the scene by emergency personnel.
Luckily for the people inside the house when the fire started, Chief Perugini said someone ran to the firehouse, just a block away to alert firefighters.
Fortunately Tuckey has renters insurance, “it’s always important to have renter’s insurance for things like this.”
The top floor is totally destroyed with extensive water and smoke damage throughout. The fire inspector said a cigarette is likely the cause of the flames.