MONROE, Conn. (WTNH) — Worried parents in Newtown are getting some answers after a bomb threat was called into Sandy Hook Elementary School on Wednesday.
Officials say there wasn’t a threat to students or staff. But emotions are still very raw for that community.
“It’s pretty sick and pretty sad,” said a woman.
“It brought me right back to that same day, that same day,” said another.
At 9:39 Wednesday morning, Sandy Hook Elementary School parents were traumatized all over again. The temporary school in Monroe was evacuated because of a bomb threat. Police say a male called in the threat and the school was evacuated. The students were taken to the middle school next door. Parents received a call from the superintendent via a emergency notification system.
“This is a non-emergency, however time-sensitive message. Let me start by saying everything is fine. With that being said, there was a bomb threat to the building earlier this morning that had low to no credibility.”
Wednesday night the school superintendent called a meeting to discuss safety, security and the bomb threat with parents.
“I am equally impressed with the vigilance that took place with safety officials, as we look to find out who this caller was,” said Dr. Joseph Erardi, Newton superintendent.
The Newtown police chief told parents because of the cruelty and trauma of the act, the full weight of law enforcement will go into catching the man who made the bomb threat. He says local state and even the federal law enforcement are at his disposal and they will do everything they to catch the caller.
“There needs to be some sort of repercussions, there has to be,” said a woman.
“Brings you right back to that day,” said another.
The superintendent says there will be school Thursday and councilors were giving out information and talking points to parents on what and how much to tell children about the threat. A review of the security procedures concluded that the security in place worked well.
“Newtown public schools will continue to rebuild with great dignity and pride,and I believe an evening like tonight is a chance for us to gather resources and support each other,” said Erardi.
Students from Sandy Hook Elementary in Newtown have been attending classes at the renamed Sandy Hook School in Monroe since the Newtown school shootings in December, 2012.