WATERBURY, Conn. (WTNH)– The former deputy commissioner of the DMV has pleaded not guilty to charges of sex assault of a minor.
He appeared in Waterbury District Court Tuesday and the arrest warrant in the case has now been unsealed.
The former deputy DMV commissioner resigned suddenly last month. He was under investigation after police had received a complaint from a 15-year-old girl.
The girl told the police that the repeated sexual assaults began when she was in the sixth grade and continued into high school and got worse.
Saying, in part “in 6th grade he would lay down behind me (and) touch my private part. In 7th and 8th grade he touched me more often, he would reach under my shirt.”
She says it got much worse in the 9th grade but she says she repeatedly repulsed his attempts to actually have intercourse.
“I’ve been concerned with his mental health, visiting him in Garner on three occasions. We hope to get all the information and we’re going to ferret out what’s true, what’s not true in the allegations and hopefully when all is said and done, he’ll get his day in court,” said Atty. Marty Minnella, lawyer for Victor Diaz.
Diaz’s lawyer also says that he has been treated for ‘post traumatic stress disorder’ following eight years in the military. Pre-trial motions in the Victor Diaz case are expected the first week of November.