NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) – Charlotte Smith from ciburbanity.com joins Jim on set to talk about Halloween crafts you can make at home.
1. Monogrammed black pumpkin
2. Graphic Sharpie pumpkin
3. Spider wreath
4. Duck tape candy corn bag
5. Sharpie decorated canvas bag
1. Find a pumpkin and spray paint it with flat black spray paint. With a pencil, outline the pattern of your choice, and then use gold or silver thumb tacks to fill in your shape.
2. Most craft stores (or thrift stores even) have styrofoam or paper faux pumpkins. Paint or spray paint first if you’d like (I used a metallic gold for mine) and then go back over with a thick black Sharpie making any graphic design or pattern you like.
3. Take an old styrofoam wreath form (again… this one was purchased for a few dollars at the craft store, but pipe insulation or pool noodles work also!). Spray paint it whatever base color you like (I used flat black) and then go back with colored duck tape to add some stripes (optional!). With a hot glue gun, attach whatever spooky Halloween decor you’d like… these creepy spiders were on sale, so that’s what I went with. But plastic teeth, candy corn, spider rings… anything could go on top for your quick and festive Halloween wreath.
4. You’ll need white, orange and yellow duct tape for this. Using strips of tape, make a rectangle divided into thirds length-wise for each color. (Candy corn order is white, orange yellow!) You’ll need two strips of duct tape for each length so that the two sticky sides will be against each other. Once you have your duck tape rectangle, roll it into a cone and use a few more pieces of tape to stick the sides together. Trim off the excess. Make some duct tape handles and you have a DIY candy corn duck tape trick-or-treat bag. (Say that 10 times fast!)
5. Plain canvas bags are something most of us have stuffed in closet somewhere. (IF not, they’re $4 at the craft store…) Grab a sharpie and draw a spooky jack-o-lantern face onto your canvas bag and, boom- an easy last minute trick-or-treat bag is all yours.