New Haven, Conn. (WTNH) — New Haven is proud of its pizza; and once again the top honor for best pizza in America is bestowed on a New Haven institution.
The website The Daily Meal has compiled their list of the top 101 Best Pizzas in the nation, and New Haven claims three spots in the top twenty, including the number one spot. The list was created from votes from what the website describes as 46 American chefs, restaurant critics, bloggers, writers, and “pizza authorities”.
On top of the list was Frank Pepe’s famous white clam pizza, made with clams, grated parmesan, olive oil, garlic and oregano. The white clam pie is a repeat winner for top of the list.
In all, New Haven has five pizzerias on this year’s list. Sally’s Apizza comes in at #7 with their Tomato pie, while The Italian Bomb at Modern Apizza comes in at #11. BAR’s Mashed Potato and Bacon pie ranked in at #24, and Zuppardi’s Special with Mozzarella, Mushroom, Sausage, and Marinara chimes in at #50.
While New Haven still reigns as Connecticut’s pizza capital, two other Connecticut pizzerias made it to the list. The Sausage pie at Stamford’s Colony Pizza earned a spot on the list at #36, while Roseland Apizza of Derby scored #76 for their Plain pie with tomato sauce (no cheese).
Below is the top 20 of The Daily Meal’s best. For complete results, click here.
1. The White Clam pizza from Frank Pepe’s in New Haven, Conn.
2. The Classic Round Pie at DiFara’s Pizzeria in Brooklyn, NY
3. The marinara pizza from Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix.
4. Margherita pizza from Una Pizza Napoletana in San Francisco, Calif.
5. Squash blossoms, tomato and burrata mozzarella pizza from Pizzeria Mozza in Los Angeles, Calif.
6. The Margherita pizza from Roberta’s in Brooklyn.
7. The tomato pie from Sally’s Apizza in New Haven, Conn.
8. The Margherita pizza from Flour + Water in San Francisco, Calif.
9. Brussels sprouts pizza from Motorino in New York City.
10. Margherita pizza from Al Forno in Providence, R.I.
11. The Italian Bomb pizza from Modern Apizza in New Haven, Conn.
12. Margherita pizza from Totonno’s in Brooklyn.
13. The Regina pizza from Paulie Gee’s in Brooklyn.
14. The Apizza Amore pizza from Apizza Scholls in Portland, Ore.
15. The New York style pizza from South Brooklyn Pizza in New York.
16. The Keste pizza from Keste in New York City.
17. The Popeye pizza from Co. in New York.
18. The Tomato Pie from Papa’s Tomato Pies in Trenton, N.J.
19. The Cheese Board in Berkeley, Calif. (pizza changes daily)
20. The 2Amy’s pizza from 2Amys in Washington, D.C