(WTNH)– Heide Lang from The Fig Cooking School, LLC shows us how to make Pumpkin Soup with Sage Cream.
Pumpkin soup is perfect for Halloween Night, because it is healthy, warm and very flavorful. She shows fun and creative ways of “dressing” up the soup bowl for Halloween (ghosts and spider made with sour cream , spiders on rim, etc…) It’s a great choice for Halloween because it can be made day before and has many surprising ingredients, including a little Jack Daniels, pears, and sage. The soup is easy to make too!
For more information, go to figcookingschool.com.
Creamy Pumpkin Soup with Sage Recipe:
Chef Heide Lang from The Fig Cooking School is back in the kitchen preparing a healthy delicious autumn soup perfect to give your trick or treaters before they venture out.
• 3 tablespoons canola or sunflower oil
• 2 tablespoons butter
• 1 cup shallots finely chopped
• 1 medium onion finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
• 3 small or 2 medium potatoes, halved and sliced thin
• 2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• 8 cups of chicken broth
• 2 ripe Bartlett pears cored and cut into one-inch pieces
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 12-18 fresh sage leaves
• 3 15 ounce cans or 6 cups of pureed pumpkin
• ¼ cup Jack Daniels whiskey
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
• 1/3 cup Crème fraiche (optional)
1. Sauté onions and shallots in butter and oil until softened but not brown.
2. Add potatoes, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon pepper and sauté for about two minutes.
3. Add chicken broth and pears; bring to boil.
4. Simmer until potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes).
5. In the meantime, mix heavy cream and coarsely chopped sage leaves.
6. Cook cream until it bubbles around the edges. Turn the heat off and let sit for 15-20 minutes, until the sage has infused the cream. Remove the sage from the cream by pouring it through a colander.
7. Whisk in the pumpkin, Jack Daniels, cinnamon, and the cayenne (if you want a spicier soup).
8. Continue to cook for 5-7 minutes.
9. Whisk in the sage cream into the soup and mix well.
10. Serve with a dollop of crème fraiche and croutons (optional).