MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Seven people have been displaced after a fire at multi-family home on Maple Street Monday morning.
The fire broke out around 11:30 a.m. Fire Chief Ken Morgan said that the weather conditions factored into the flames.
Margaret Taylor rushed home from work Monday, after hearing the fire broke out on her street.
“My house is over there. I don’t want it to catch fire to my home,” Taylor said. “I was scared. I got in the car and rushed home. My house is next door.”
While her house was fine, her next door neighbors — and friends — were not so lucky.
“I can see the top, bottom, gone. That’s sad. They don’t deserve that,” said Taylor. “Good people, I feel bad for them.”
The Meriden Fire Department said it all started in the kitchen, when a pan of unattended grease caught fire. Helped by very windy conditions, flames quickly spread out the back of the apartment and up the balcony.
“(The) Wind is rolling up the hill,” Chief Morgan said. “Deceiving to crews when (they) first got here. Either a window failed or some event happened that created a fire ball out the side.”
Taylor’s fiancee was a witness to how quickly the fire spread.
“He said everything was fine,” Taylor said, as she relayed the conversation with her fiancee. “(He) went inside, 15 minutes later, neighbor banging on the door. (He) came out and saw flames.”
We’re told seven people live in the two apartments. Both floors were deemed unlivable, meaning the families will have to find a place to stay during the coldest week so far this winter. Red Cross was contacted and will be assisting families who are affected.