7 displaced in Meriden house fire

Meriden firefighters at the scene of a fire at a multi-family home on Maple Street (WTNH/ Jason Newton)
Firefighters extinguish a grease fire that damaged a multi-family home on Maple Street (WTNH/ Jason Newton)
Firefighters extinguish a grease fire that damaged a multi-family home on Maple Street (WTNH/ Jason Newton)

MERIDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Seven people have been displaced after a fire at multi-family home on Maple Street Monday morning.

The fire broke out around 11:30 a.m. Fire Chief Ken Morgan said that the weather conditions factored into the flames.

Margaret Taylor rushed home from work Monday, after hearing the fire broke out on her street.

“My house is over there. I don’t want it to catch fire to my home,” Taylor said. “I was scared. I got in the car and rushed home. My house is next door.”

While her house was fine, her next door neighbors — and friends — were not so lucky.

“I can see the top, bottom, gone. That’s sad. They don’t deserve that,” said Taylor. “Good people, I feel bad for them.”

The Meriden Fire Department said it all started in the kitchen, when a pan of unattended grease caught fire. Helped by very windy conditions, flames quickly spread out the back of the apartment and up the balcony.

“(The) Wind is rolling up the hill,” Chief Morgan said. “Deceiving to crews when (they) first got here. Either a window failed or some event happened that created a fire ball out the side.”

Taylor’s fiancee was a witness to how quickly the fire spread.

“He said everything was fine,” Taylor said, as she relayed the conversation with her fiancee. “(He) went inside, 15 minutes later, neighbor banging on the door. (He) came out and saw flames.”

We’re told seven people live in the two apartments. Both floors were deemed unlivable, meaning the families will have to find a place to stay during the coldest week so far this winter. Red Cross was contacted and will be assisting families who are affected.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

2 thoughts on “7 displaced in Meriden house fire

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s