BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (WTNH) – A long-neglected site in downtown Bridgeport is going to get a makeover. Mayor Bill Finch joined developers, city staff and other elected leaders for the groundbreaking of the revitalization project of the Jayson Building on Middle Street and the Newfield Building on Main Street. They will be combined into one structure, the Jayson-Newfield Building.
The Jayson-Newfield Building is one of many revitalization projects that are planned to launch over the next two years in Bridgeport’s Downtown North area.
“This is primarily about jobs. There will be jobs in constructing these buildings. There will be jobs for workers that are living here, and once complete, there will be jobs in the retail sites being created on this block,” said Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch.
The Jayson Building was originally built in 1893. It’s a historic four story structure containing nearly 60,000 square feet on Middle Street. This 19th century building has a number of interesting historical features, including the original exterior masonry and brownstone windowsills. Much of the external structure will be retained or augmented, but the interior finishes will be replaced.
The Newfield Building was originally constructed in two phases between 1871-1907. It is located on the northeast corner of Golden Hill and Main Streets, and occupies more than 63,000 square feet. The brick, metal, and wood details of the building’s exterior will be maintained and refurbished. However, the bulk of Newfield’s internal structure requires replacement.
The new structure will serve as home to 104 new apartments and 8,000 feet of ground floor retail space.