MOZAMBIQUE (WTNH)– Beer poisoned with crocodile bile killed 69 people at a funeral in Mozambique and left hundreds of others hospitalized over the weekend.
The Daily Mail reports that the guests who died of poisoning or who had taken ill had drunk Pombe, which is a traditional Mozambican beer made from millet or corn flour. Mozambique authorities believe that the drink was poisoned with crocodile bile during the funeral, possibly when funeral goers were at the cemetery.
Police say mourners who drank the beer in the morning reported no sickness but those who drank it in the afternoon were the ones who were poisoned. The woman who brewed the beer is also among the dead.
There are reports that 196 people have been treated in districts in the northeastern Tete province.
The government issued a statement Sunday night to declare three days of mourning. Police are investigating the incident.