HVAC unit causes evacuation at Fairfield Ludlowe High School

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WTNH) — A Fairfield high school was evacuated briefly Thursday morning after smoke was discovered near classrooms.

Just before 10:15 a.m. students and staff reported smoke to administrators. Students were moved to the middle school while officials conducted their investigation.

According to a statement from Superintendent Laura Desnievich, an electrical motor within an air handling unit malfunctioned, causing the smoke near the music technology section of the building. The HVAC unit was immediately shut down. There was no fire reported.

Fire officials cleared the building for re-entry, and students were back in class by 11:05 a.m.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s