Fairfield house fire caused by homeowner thawing pipes in basement

Map Fairfield

FAIRFIELD, Conn. (WTNH) – With hundreds of homeowners in Connecticut battling frozen pipes, here’s another reminder of not to use a torch to do it.  Just after 10 Friday morning, Fairfield firefighters got a call about a house fire at 333 Cornell Road.  When firefighters got there the fire was burning in the basement and on the first floor.  It took them about 45 minutes to get the fire under control.  Firefighters say the fire started when the homeowner was trying to thaw out frozen pipes in the basement.  Fire officials say thanks to a quick 911 call, and a quick response by firefighters, the fire was knocked down quickly.  No one was hurt.

The American Red Cross has some advice on avoiding frozen pipes, and what to do if your pipes freeze.  http://www.redcross.org/prepare/disaster/winter-storm/preventing-thawing-frozen-pipes

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

blog comments powered by Disqus