Westport, Conn. (WTNH) – A homeowner was able to avoid a major fire by using a fire extinguisher he had in his home. A fire started on the outside of the boiler of a home on Lees Lane Thursday morning. The owner of the home quickly jumped into action putting out the fire, and then called 911.
Westport Firefighters were told that the boiler had not been running properly and the burner on the gas stove was not producing a full flame. So firefighters shut off the emergency switch to the unit and shut off the gas meter in the rear of the home. That is where firefighters noticed that the pressure regulator on the gas meter was encased in ice from a dripping gutter above the unit.
Firefighters then metered the building and ventilated the home to remove any toxic gases and smoke. A fire inspector was called to the scene as well as a worker from the gas company.
This incident has fire officials warning homeowners to have their heating equipment serviced on an annual basis. You should also get your home checked if you suspect a problem with appliances. If you have appliances powered by natural gas or propane, make sure that the gas regulators and equipment outside the home are kept free of accumulating snow and ice in order to keep them functioning properly.
Also, make sure to have operating smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and to be vigilant when using fireplaces and woodstoves and properly dispose of ashes. It could help you avoid a potential deadly situation.