Jesse Matthew pleads not guilty in 2005 Virginia attack

This undated photo provided by the Charlottesville, Va. Police Department shows Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr. (AP Photo/Charlottesville, Va. Police Department)

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) — Jesse Matthew, who could eventually face a death penalty in the slaying of University of Virginia student Hannah Graham, pleaded not guilty Monday in a separate prosecution that could send him to prison for life.

Trial began Monday for Matthew, 33, of Charlottesville, in Fairfax, where he is charged with attempted capital murder, abduction and sexual assault in connection with a 2005 attack.

Matthew, wearing a dress shirt and yellow tie, entered his plea on all three counts in a soft-spoken voice.

Matthew was charged in the long-unsolved Fairfax case last year after his arrest in connection with Graham’s disappearance yielded a hit on DNA evidence.

The victim in the Fairfax case has flown back from India to testify against him. She testified briefly at a pretrial hearing last week, saying that Matthew’s face looked familiar to her, but that his hair, now in dreadlocks, was different in 2005. Defense lawyers have questioned whether the woman can reliably identify Matthew as her attacker, given the passage of time and pretrial publicity that has frequently shown Matthew’s face in news reports.

Because of the DNA evidence, though, it is unclear whether her ability to identify Matthew will be an important issue at trial. Commonwealth’s Attorney Ray Morrogh told the judge that he might not even ask the woman to identify Matthew in front of the jury and has said the question is a “non-issue.”

A pool of 100 potential jurors was called for Monday’s jury selection. Another 50 will be available Tuesday if needed.

After Matthew entered his not guilty pleas, the judge asked Matthew whether he was ready for trial. Matthew said no. His lawyers have asked several times to delay the trial, and public defender Dawn Butorac again sought a delay Monday.

“He said he’s not ready for trial today because we’re not ready for trial,” Butorac said.

Judge David Schell denied the request to delay the trial, which was already delayed once earlier this year.

“There has been ample time to prepare for trial,” Schell said.

The victim in the Fairfax case, who was 26 at the time of the attack, has said that she was walking home from the grocery store at about 10 p.m. on a Saturday night in September 2005 when her assailant grabbed her from behind, dragged her into a wooded area behind some townhomes and sexually assaulted her.

The Associated Press generally does not identify those who say they’ve been victims of sexual assault.

The Graham case, which includes a capital murder charge, will be set for trial later this month.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s