East Haven mom charged with murder of 2 children

LeRoya Moore (Photo provided by the East Haven Police Dept.)
Daaron and Aleisha Moore
Daaron and Aleisha Moore

EAST HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — The mother of the two children who were found dead in a natural gas-filled East Haven home has been charged with murder.

Thirty-six-year-old LeRoya Moore, of 541 Strong Street, is charged with two counts of murder and three counts of reckless endangerment in the deaths of her two children, seven-year-old Daaron and six-year-old Aleisha Moore. Autopsies were performed on the children, but police say the exact cause of death is still pending toxicology results.

Officials say Moore admitted to turning on the gas, saying that her children were “in pain, now they’re in heaven.”

“There’s no more pain. They left this world as innocent as they were when they came into it,” Moore said, according to her arrest affidavit. “I’m done. There’s nothing else to say and no further explanation to give.”

Court documents state Moore told police she stabbed her children to death to set them free because she didn’t want them to grow up in this society, but those papers also say there are no signs of blunt force trauma on her son and daughter.

Related: Father remembers children found dead in East Haven home

Officials say on June 2, officers responded to the home for a medical emergency when they discovered the gas leak within the home and the two children deceased. Moore was found with apparent injuries to her arms. Three responding officers were treated for exposure to the gas.

“It’s tragic,” said neighbor Carolyn Parillo. “I feel so bad for the kids. I hope they didn’t suffer any.”

“They were little kids, little angels. They had a long life live, you know,” said neighbor Mariana Caporal. “They didn’t deserve that, not at all.”

Related: 2 children found dead in East Haven home

Police arrested Moore on Wednesday, upon her release from medical treatment of her injuries. She has 14 prior convictions, including a risk of injury conviction in 2006. The Connecticut Department of Children and Families says it received a report of alleged child abuse and neglect stemming from the incidents described in the 2006 police report. DCF says, as a result, it removed all three children from the home, and at that time, there were no other children in the home.

Moore was arraigned in court Wednesday afternoon and her bond remains at $2 million. She’ll be held on suicide watch at a facility in Niantic and is due back in court on June 23.

Comments are closed.