EAST HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Pictures taken of a Connecticut Limo driver on his phone while on the job have cost him that job. Mary Jo Sagnella of East Haven says she took the pictures earlier in July when the driver picked her and her husband up from JFK International Airport.
“He had a Bluetooth but he talked on the phone pretty much the whole way,” she said. “When he wasn’t talking on the phone, he was texting or writing things down as he was driving down 95.”
Sagnella sent an email to Connecticut Limo on July 18, but got no response until Tuesday, July 28 after sending a second email.
“I felt that I wouldn’t have gotten it if you hadn’t gotten involved and I think that’s the only reason I did get a response,” Sagnella said.
Andy Anastasio Jr., CEO of Connecticut Limo, claims the person who the email was originally sent to was on vacation. He says as soon as he saw the pictures, his mind was made up.
“You’re not even supposed to dial. You’re supposed to have a head set with one press which would answer it or voice activate it for calling, and that’s federal DOT regulations as well as state says you’re not supposed to text, and it’s our company policy,” the CEO said.
“I sat there taking pictures one after another and he didn’t even notice because he was too busy doing what he was doing,” said Sagnella.
Anastasio says the company continuously reinforces their zero-tolerance policy when it comes to cell phone use as drivers could be putting passenger’s lives at risk, not to mention the consequences.
In November 2014, a 25-year-old woman was sentenced to two years behind bars for killing someone while texting and driving. Police say she was spotted just few away from the crash site on Meriden Road in Wolcott.