NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — A warning is going out to those who live near the New Haven/Hamden line after a stray cat tested positive for rabies over the weekend.
Quinnipiac Valley Health District confirmed the case. The cat was found in the wooded area east of the Whitney Avenue and Armory Street intersection. As a precaution, experts are asking people to keep the following information in mind to protect your family and pets
- Keep your pets vaccinate
- Avoid contact with wildlife and domestic animals you don’t know.
- Call the Animal Control Officer (ACO) in your town if you see an injured or confused animal.
- Feed your pets inside and don’t feed stray animals
- Put on rubber gloves if you examine your pet after a fight with another animal.
- Never touch a wound with your bare hands.
- Seek prompt medical attention if you are bitten by any animal you don’t know.