Electrical problem causes smoke in St. Francis E.R., forces patients to be moved

(WTNH/Bob Wilson)


HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Thirty patients were moved from the St. Francis Hospital Emergency Room and patients on their way to the hospital were diverted after an electrical problem caused smoke in the emergency room Thursday night, officials say.

“We got called for an electrical problem which created an odor in the building,” said Hartford Assistant Fire Chief Scott Brady. “We came out and metered the building to make sure there were no dangerous gases, there was no fire. We’re working with the crews at the hospital to make sure the building is safe before they bring the patients back.”

Fire officials say a transformer exploded and patients could see smoke coming from vents. They don’t believe anyone was injured in the incident.

Full power was restored around 2:30 a.m. Friday.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s