HAMDEN, Conn. (WTNH) — The quick actions of a 15 year old boy in Hamden helped save his neighbor whose apartment was on fire.
On Sunday, Brandon Sealey, who’s a freshman at Hamden High School, was riding his bike in the back of the Town Walk Drive apartment complex. As that was happening, a 911 call came in reporting an oven fire in one of the apartments. Sealey heard the smoke detector and saw smoke coming from the doors of a deck. The teen went to his family’s apartment, grabbed a fire extinguisher and then ran to give the extinguisher to his neighbor who lives in the smoke-filled apartment. They were able to put out the flames before the fire department arrived.
Due to his willingness to help his neighbor and his quick actions, Sealey was recognized by firefighters at Station 4 in Hamden. He visited with his parents on Monday.
As a reminder, smoke detectors and portable fire extinguishers can save lives and property. Also, fire fighters say never re-enter a smoke filled building to attempt to extinguish a fire. The positive outcome in Hamden was due to the quick action of an alert high school student within a minute of the smoke detector going off.