NEW HAVEN, Conn. (WTNH) — Some Yale students had an early wake up call after three seperate fires broke out early this morning.
Yale student, Adam Sokol said, “I was in bed asleep and I hear someone start screaming everybody get out.”
Nine Yale students who live in a Fraternity house on Crown street ran out of the front door after flames sparked around 3am. Yale student, David Rieot added, “By the time they called 911 there where already fire firefighters on the scene for the other two houses.”
The two houses next door were also on fire. Firefighters were able to put out the flames before the flames spread to the interior. At first students said they thought it was a joke. Rieot added, “I thought I was being pranked because it was 3am and nothing out of the ordinary and then I came stairs and then I saw the fireman and I knew it was a real thing.”
Sokol added, “It is scary that three houses all in the same spot and that that happened and somebody would do that. It is definitely unsettling.”
The fourth fire happened on Osborn Avenue and a fifth fire erupted at this home on Pendleton street around 6am. Both house University students. Locals say they didn’t hear anything unusual. Bethany Hayes who is a neighbor said, “I have a dog and he didn’t wake me up or anything.”
Rieot added, “The uncertainly is unsettling to say the least but the most we can do is try to move on as soon as possible and we are thankful to the authorities and the fire department. Luckily no one was injured.