‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2015: Kim Zolciak-Biermann Withdraws From Competition After Mini-Stroke


(ABC NEWS) — Following a mini-stroke, reality TV star Kim Zolciak-Biermann is officially out of the competition on ABC’s “Dancing With the Stars,” show co-host Tom Bergeron announced tonight during the program.

Zolciak-Biermann, 37, sustained the mini-stroke on Thursday and spent two days in the hospital.

She appeared live via video on the show tonight.

“I feel really great. I don’t know if you know but I rehearsed on Saturday,” she said, explaining that she practiced a routine for tonight’s show but was advised by doctors that she should not fly to Los Angeles.

“I can dance, I just can’t fly,” the former “Real Housewives of Atlanta” star said. “I’m really sad.”

Her pro partner, Tony Dovolani, said he wished her well. “I mean, the family comes first, health comes first. I am so happy she listened to the doctors,” he said.

Bergeron explained that the show’s rules require that in the event of a health-related matter affecting a participant’s ability to participate in the game, the participant must withdraw.

Elimination is determined through judges’ scores and votes from the viewing audience. The couple with the lowest combined score is usually sent home.

Andy Grammer and Paula Deen were both in jeopardy of going home tonight, but because Zolciak-Biermann had to withdraw, they were spared and no one was voted off.

Singer Chaka Khan and Triple Crown champion jockey Victor Espinoza have previously been eliminated.

The 10 competitors and their pro partners tonight had to do one routine for the TV Night theme, in which their dances were set to songs from iconic television shows including “The Golden Girls,” “I Dream of Jeannie” and “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.”

Alfonso Ribeiro, the show’s season 19 mirror ball champion and the new host of “America’s Funniest Home Videos,” was a guest judge. He joined the regular judging panel of Carrie Ann Inaba, Bruno Tonioli and Julianne Hough. This is the third week of the show’s 21st season.

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s