Does your child need Special Education?


(WTNH) – Is your child struggling in school?  If so, what can you do about it? Allie Grafman, a Special Education Advocate shares some answers.

Often it is difficult to distinguish between a child who is not interested or lacks motivation in school and a child who may be struggling with school work or school-related issues. A child who is genuinely struggling usually exhibits warning signs including: eating too much, not eating enough, and unusual sleep patterns.


If parents feel that their child is struggling, Allie says parents should get in touch with the school. They should find out how the child is doing in school compared to other students and whether the child has any behavioral issues the school staff has observed.


The next step could be a referral for Special Education. Collaborative Advocacy Associates helps parents through the process by bridging the gap between schools and parents to find the best possible program for the child.


More information:

Collaborative Advocacy Associates (CAA) serves families thorughout Connecticut. We have counseled and supported more than 2,000 families with children ranging from infants to college age students for over ten years.  CAA has supported children with various special learning needs, ranging from the need to be more challenged by gaining access to gifted and talented programs, to children whose need for special learning programs and accommodation covers the entire spectrum of identified categories of disability.  All our associates have strong working relationships with many of the top medical, mental health and therapeutic specialists in our area.  We partner with school districts and outside agencies to help build appropriate programs and develop effective plans individualized for each child.  CAA seeks to educate, support and encourage parents to become advocates for their own child through mentoring, coaching and counseling.  CAA is an independent firm, we are not affiliated with any law practice, therapeutic service or educational organization. Our focus is on our parents, family and child.

Contact Information:

Collaborative Advocacy Associates

Address:  191 Post Road West, Westport, CT  06880

Phone:  203-454-6630

WTNH NEWS8 provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review. Also, you can now block any inappropriate user by simple selecting the drop down menu on the right of any comment and selection "Block User" from there.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s